I think this is the best salmon recipe, EVER.
I probably say this all the time. But this time, I am beyond serious.
Let’s reminisce for a sec…
Years ago, I remember scanning the internet for salmon cake/patty recipes. I remember the frustration that followed because each recipe used canned salmon. I never tried any of them because they just didn’t sound good… Or fresh.
The difference between using fresh salmon and canned salmon is like night and day! You will never, ever want to use the canned stuff after eating this. These salmon cakes tasted so tender and soft, packed with so much incredible flavor. You’ll feel like you just dined at a top notch restaurant. It was that good.
Oh, and please don’t be scared of putting the salmon in the food processor. If you eat pre-ground beef, this is like a thousand times less disturbing than what that beef goes through (if you buy average the quality product).
The picture above features carrot potato puree and parsley as a garnish.
- 2 large fresh salmon fillets (about 6 oz each)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (or 1 slice bread, food processed)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 bell pepper (any variety), chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- oil, for frying
- Put the chopped bell pepper in the food processor and process until minced finely.
- Add the two salmon fillets to the food processor and pulse until processed. Try not to over process the fish. It shouldn’t be too paste-like.
- Add the fish mixture to a bowl and mix the bread crumbs, seasoning, and egg together until consistently combined.
- Form the salmon mixture into patties and fry the salmon cakes, one by one, in oil until just cooked through. Try not to overcook these lovely cakes 🙂 Enjoy with rice, mashed potatoes, or pureed carrots (pictured above). Yummm.