Is it date night, yet?
Not sure if you got the hidden joke there. Well, I love dates of all kinds… Movies, restaurants, Medjool, Neglet Noor.
I think you get the point.
This awesome banana bread can be eaten on a date, but even better is that it is made with these ultra sweet delicious date fruits, reducing the need for added sugar. Guess what? This recipe produces a banana bread with only 1/4 cup of brown sugar! How cool is that? And it’s wonderful!
Dates are so good to snack on when those mid-day sugar cravings set in. You will love this guilt-free indulgence. Your kids (if you have any) will surely love them, too.
Here’s the recipe
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter (you can also use coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dates (I used Neglet Noor – You can use any variety), plus 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Food process the dates and hot water until pureed. Add to the bowl with the bananas and mix.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, salt, spices, oil/butter, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Fold in the flour and walnuts until a uniform consistency is reached.
- Pour into a greased pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-70 minutes. Insert a toothpick and ensure it comes out clean.
- This also makes a really good crock pot recipe. Put it in a slow cooker for 3 hours on low. Two thumbs up!